With a complete host of spices cooked together with chickpeas such as bay leaf, cinnamon, cumin seeds, cloves, pepper corns, green and black cardamom, I am sure you wouldn’t be able to resist cooking this recipe again and again along with crispy, hot and fluffy bhaturas!
Ingredients of Chola Bhatura
- Wheat flour/ atta – ½ cup
- Maida- ¼ cup
- Sooji/ Rava – 2 tbsp
- Salt – ¼ tsp
- Sugar – ¼ to ½ tsp
- Oil – 1 tbsp (for dough)
- Curd – 2 tbsp
- Baking soda – ¼ tsp
- Water – 1 tbsp (approx.)
- Oil – for deep frying
For Chole :
- Chickpeas (channas)- 2 cups
- Oil- 2 tsp
- Bay leaf (tej patta) – 1
- Cinnamon stick (dalchini)- 1
- Cloves (laung) – 3-4
- Whole pepper corns (sabut kali mirch) – 1 tsp
- Green cardamom (choti elaichi) – 3
- Black cardamom (badi elaichi) – 2
- Turmeric powder (haldi) – 1 tsp
- Chili powder (lal mirch powder) – 1 tsp
- Coriander powder (dhaniya powder) – 1 tsp
- Cumin powder (jeera powder) – 1 tsp
- Cumin seeds (jeera) – 1 tsp
- Asafoetida (heeng) – ½ tsp
- Salt – To taste
- Chopped onions – 1 cup
- Chopped tomatoes – 1 cup
- Ginger garlic paste -2 tsp
- Ajwain -1 tsp
- Lime juice – 1 tsp
- Green chili – 1
- Tea bag ( Optional ) – 1
- Butter – 1 tbsp
For Bhatura :
- In a bowl add whole wheat flour, maida, sooji/ rava, oil, curd and salt. Mix well and add water gradually to form stiff dough. Knead it well for around 5 minutes. Allow it to rest for 3 hours.
- After 3 hours knead the dough once then pinch a golf ball sized dough and roll it into a thin poori (circle) with a rolling pin. (Depending on the frying pan/ kadai size decide the size if the circle before rolling/ flattening the dough. (Repeat the process till all the dough is complete)
- Heat oil in a frying pan. Before frying bhatura drop a tiny ball of dough in the hot oil if it comes up immediately then the oil is ready.
- Put the flame on medium and slide one flattened dough in the hot oil. When it puffs flip it carefully and when done transfer it to a plate with paper towel to drain excess oil. Repeat the process till all the dough poories are fried. And tadaaa your bhaturas are all done!
For Chola :
- In a pan add oil, bay leaf, cinnamon, cumin seeds, cloves, whole pepper corns, green and black cardamom.
- After it gets brown ,add chopped onions and saute them. Now add the ginger and garlic paste.
- Followed by turmeric, chili powder, coriander powder, cumin powder, asafoetida and salt, fry all the ingredients together well.
- For de-glazing the pan add a little water.
- Now add the chole (soaked overnight and pressure cooked) to the masala.
- After stirring well add tomatoes, little sugar and salt to the chole.
- Now add ajwain, chopped green chilies and water for the base
- To get the color in the chole, add a tea bag to the masala (optional)
- Simmer the chole gently for an hour and cover it.
- Add lime juice and a dollop of butter to it.
- Garnish the chole with coriander and butter and serve them hot with bhaturas and Yayyyyy we’re all done!
And there you go , treat yourself with the lip smacking dish and share your experiences , experiments and feedback with me!
Until next recipe , Eat hearty!